I love the classy look of marble. I’ve seen variations of this marble jewelry dish make its rounds on Pinterest recently, so I decided to make one for my friend’s birthday too. I don’t really make things for people, but this one’s fun to make, not very time-consuming, and actually looks pretty good! Use it to store or display pretty trinkets and jewelry and bask in the aesthetic pleasingness of the swirly marble look.
- Clay in black and white (I used Premo Sculpey)
- Something to roll out and flatten the clay
- A cutting board
- An object with a circular base
- An oven
- Gloss is optional!
The pictures should be self-explanatory, but here are some instructions to make the steps clearer.
- Get some black clay and white clay. There should be a four to one ratio of white clay to black clay.
- Roll out the clay into little strips and wrap the black ones around the white ones as shown in the photo. This will help you achieve the swirly effect better.
- Mix them together. I would combine everything and then pull them apart in halves, mixing and pulling and repeating that over again. Make sure you don’t do this too much, or else you’ll end up with a flat gray instead of swirly marble.
- With a bigger rounded object, roll it out so it is evenly flattened.
- Place the flattened clay on a cutting board so you don’t scratch the table when the paper knife is used.
- Place a mug above with a rounded base big enough for holding jewelry, and using the paper knife cut around it.
- Bend the edges upwards so that it takes the shape of a dish and doesn’t become some flat clay thing.
- With instructions from the clay packet, bake it in the oven accordingly. I used Premo Sculpey clay and it says 30 mins at 175 degrees. Since white clay is used, don’t overbake it as it can yellow out.
- Although not pictured, I painted the edges gold so it would look more classy and ornate.
Hope the wordy instructions don’t put you off, they’re just there for clarification. Just follow the photos, remember to bake it, and you’ll find yourself in possession of a beautiful marble-y jewelry dish!